Thursday, August 14, 2008

My First Date and the Closet Gay Bar

Now I know what some of you who are reading this must be thinking, 'There is a gay bar in New Delhi, India?' Well, the answer is a simple, yet slightly complicated, yes and no - Yes, there is a gay bar and No, it isn't a proper gay bar. Tucked away in an almost inconspicuous space between a multiplex cinema and a hotel of questionable standard stands a petite structure barely two floors high that I shall call Pearls n Petals (its name is different but the initials are the same - my name makes it sound a lil bit more fabulous than it is).


I came to know of this establishment over a year back when I first felt brave enough to set up a profile on an online gay personals site. By that time I had lost a significant amount of weight and decided that perhaps I could meet a cute guy who was a bit of a chubby chaser (but then again, since when are chubby chasers cute?). After a few weeks of sifting through the usual riff-raff who just send one common message - hi, a/s/l? top, bot, vers? cock size? - I met someone who seemed rather charming and civil (later to discover he was a total manipulative shit but that's another story all together). We began chatting online on MSN, followed by telephone conversations that sometimes even exceeded four hours. True, he wasn't exactly cute by my standards, but then again, at that time, I was at least 50 lbs heavier than what I am at present while typing this entry, so I couldn't really complain. Within the span of almost 3 weeks, we had grown really close and knew almost everything there was to know about each other (barring a few super intimate details of course but you know what I mean), and even though we still hadn't met, I realized that I had started to develop feelings for him.


One Tuesday night, at about 9.30, I get a call from him, "You have exactly one hour to get ready". After a rather bewildered, "Excuse me?" he explained that he was going to take me out to a party. Arching a brow I asked who the host was and whether he would be okay to have someone he doesn't even know crashing. He explained that on Tuesday nights at Pearls n Petals, there is a gay night that is announced as a 'private party' so that the gay denizens of New Delhi can party in peace without being bothered by heteros and cops and all that jazz. Filled with a mix of panic and excitement I ran over to my closet (not the one I live in) and searched and searched for something nice to wear. You see, I was at that stage in my weight loss journey where none of my clothes fitted me nicely. They were either all loose and would have made me look like a bag-lady - or too tight and would have hugged my not so manly curves in the wrong manner (as a motivational tool, I bought clothes two sizes smaller than what I was to keep me driven). Luckily for me, my cousin (let's call him Harvina - an honorary drag queen name I gave him as he totally accepted me when I came out to him), was spending the night with us and helped me pick out something that I looked remotely decent in - a pair of khaki Dockers and a navy sketcher's button down, not the most fabulous thing for my first visit to a gay bar of any kind.


The guy was half-an-hour late, and I had begun to panic like a junior-high girl who was getting late for her prom. I kept pacing up and down my bedroom in histrionic fits - OMG, he's late, where is he? Is my ass looking fat in these Dockers? Did I say or do something wrong? Is my ass looking fat in these Dockers? Do you think it's odd that he's taking me to a gay bar on our first meeting offline ever? Is my ass looking fat in these Dockers? Do you think he'd like me in real life despite me being on the heavier side? Is my ass looking fat in these Dockers? - all to which my patient cousin answered in a deadpan tone while watching Prison Break - Relax dude he's on his way... no... no... no... no... chill man he'll like you... no.


Not satisfied, I ran into my reading room and pulled a card - 8 of Cups. Those of you reading this who are well-versed with the Tarot would know that 8 of Cups from the Thoth deck isn't the most reassuring card to get about a first meeting of any sort. But before I could pull out a clarifier, 'Rich Girl' by Gwen Stefani began playing from my cell phone, signaling that he had arrived. Upon meeting him, I was instantly reminded of a T-Shirt slogan that I saw at a store the other day, 'You looked better online'. However, my gracious Libra rising just made me swallow that comment and flash a charming Venusian smile and say, "It's so finally good to meet you." He smiled and we hugged and did the air kiss (muah muah), and while driving he confessed that he was relieved to see me and the way I dressed. Upon my arching a quizzical brow he replied that he was a little afraid that I was some flaming drag queen who would have arrived wearing some trashy sequined tube top and low-waist jeans with a Shakira-belt. I didn't know whether to be flattered or insulted so I resorted to the next best thing - a silent smile.


Upon arriving there, I got outta the car first so that he could go park it somewhere in the dingy parking lot, mainly as an excuse to just scope out the crowd that was outside waiting to get in. Let's just say this looked absolutely nothing like what I'd seen of gay bars in Sex and the City, Will & Grace, and Queer as Folk. None of the men looked like Adonis donning a Dolce. None of the men seemed as if they just stepped off the cover of GQ. None of the men looked as though they knew anything about style at all. In fact - this didn't look like a gay bar at all. More like some working class stag bar where men dressed like shabby heteros. Whoever said gay men were always the most attractive and the most stylish and refined had obviously never been to this gay bar.


Upon entering the bar, after the big burly gorilla of a bouncer with a big beer gut over what once must have been a muscular frame felt me up in all the wrong places, crappy remixed-bollywood music (like the non-remixed versions were any better) were blaring through the speakers as a miniscule dance floor was cramped with virtually every gay man within the tri-city area. Luckily as we're an endangered species here we still didn't violate any codes and restrictions over over-crowding. Icky sweaty slimy men all bumping and grinding against each other, thinking they'd resemble a pussycat doll, only to resemble Britney at her tragic VMA performance of Gimme More.


My so called date took me to the bar where he faux-introduced me (where you hug and kiss everyone and then turn to the person you bring, oh hey everyone, this is so-and-so without even looking at him) to a group of his friends who barely gave me a second glance. Before I could even say hi back, he was whisked away over to the dance floor by some random guy who seemed to have appeared outta nowhere. As expected, his group trailed off into their own lil world, leaving me alone in a shadowy corner of the bar, all wide-eyed and completely outta my element. I didn't know what was worse, the fact that I was feeling self-conscious by the judging eyes of all the gay men who were probably going in their heads 'who's the fat loser all alone'; or the fact that the guy who invited me over in the first place and who I had started to develop feelings for was dancing from one guy to the other and completely forgot about me. The icing on my cake was when I saw him holding another guy by the waist and entering the men's room. Unlike women who go to the ladies room together to re-do their makeup and exchange bits of gossip, when gay men go to the loo together, it's only cause they wanna do (as a friend of mine calls it) the McNasty!


Almost on the verge of tears, I noticed someone was heading my way. Even though he wasn't exactly someone I'd find borderline dashing, I quickly masked my sorrow with a quiet yet gentle smile. My smile turned into a frown of disgust when I found out that he was a hustler trying to get me to rent his services for the night. Dropping my jaw in horror, I shoo-ed him off. After twenty more minutes, my 'date' emerged from the men's room with that 'cocksure-after sex' smug expression on his face with the other guy following behind him smiling coyly. Luckily, it was now two a.m. and it was time for the bar to close (fire codes n stuff). When the lights came back on, he found me tucked away in my corner. "Did you enjoy yourself?" he asked with his eyes glazed due to all the beer and god knows what else. My smile said 'yes' but my eyes said, 'Are you freakin' kidding me?', but I remained silent nevertheless.



On the way back, I sat in his car with my arms crossed tight to my body with my lips pursed trying to control my anger as he swerved through the streets drunk and at a speed above 80 Mph, while his toilet fuck-toy was sprawled on the backseat, drunk and belting a slobbery rendition of 'Girls Just Wanna Have fun.' When we reached my place (in one piece) I got out and due to being born with etiquette, I smiled and said, "Thank you for the night out it was really nice meeting you to". He leaned out his window, "I'm so glad I met you cause I like you a lot" (He certainly did a good job of showing it) while the fuck toy at the backseat waved indifferently as he was on the verge of passing out, "Shall I call you sometime?"



"Only when you're sober." I replied and headed inside as he speeded away with Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back blaring.



And that was my first date, and my first night out at a gay bar!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! I feel sad for your experience, but you told such a funny tale. Keep up the great writing. I want MORE.

Anonymous said...

you write well :)
hope to see more posts soon

Anonymous said...

Really well written and articulated..you have voiced what mayn of us would have felt at one point or another..keep it up and please WRITE MORE!!!!

Well what can I say...but just that....almost each of us has been though this at one time or the other..in a way made us realize another side of the 'gay life',,made us stronger ...realistic...maybe sadder but wiser...

I hope the gay scene here was not so narrow minded..but I yet feel that a gay relation especially up north mainly depends upon one's physical attributes..

Hope it changes..

Varun said...

Great writing...you bring out the fine line between being gay and being just a homosexual!

:)

Anonymous said...

Excellent...... what a w***

Anonymous said...

i really admire ur writing skills..
it waz gud to read..
and yeah though it is funny yet it ends on serious note..
a perfect scenario of gay lifestyle..
like to read more of you.

Anonymous said...

damn cool man...well written....nice to know someone i can identify wid..but i been out a coupla times n it does get so much better..hehehe..

but yeah a pleasure to read...and definitely very spunky..

ciao..
Sagar

Anonymous said...

damn!!!! why does it happen to all of us?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing a smile on my face! It was a breezy read and straight from the heart.

Anonymous said...

hey.... i must say..... the exp. to the gay Bar was exactly the same for me.........i think the guy who took u me is the same guy....

bye n tc...
amit

Anonymous said...

hey.... i must say..... the exp. to the gay Bar was exactly the same for me.........i think the guy who took u me is the same guy....

bye n tc...
amit

Anonymous said...

It was an experience reading your post ....
That is really a bad one, for being the first experience ...

Did u ever talk to him again ... and if you did what was it ?

Keep writing :)

Anonymous said...

amazing stuff..... d way u described d whole experience i felt like i m reading a chapter of a well known author's novel ..... fantastic is d word dat comes in my mind !!

Anonymous said...

This post is extremely well written, and it certainly bears testimony to the exemplary narrative skills that u seem to possess. I was actually transported to the same night, at the same place; and quite like Harry Potter's pensieve, felt as though I'm a third party witness to the event. You have given quite a snapshot of what gay parties are like. Even a str8 guy like me can visualize the entire scene just by reading ur post. Of course, it's quite different from what we would experience on our first date; we tend to be a little more chivalrous towards our dates. But then, this probably was an one-off incident, where the guy behaved like a total jerk. I don't know, but I reckon it would be unfair to generalize this guy's behavior as a normal tendency. I fail to see why fundamental ethics and etiquette should change with sexual orientation. Anyway, this is a str8 guy's perspective. If I have hurt anyone's feelings by my viewpoints, I beg pardon.

Anonymous said...

oh man...amazing, so identified with the whole gay dating scene..and my first gay social outing was at 'pearls and petals'too !!! way to go buddy !!

Anonymous said...

"My so called date took me to the bar where he faux-introduced me (where you hug and kiss everyone and then turn to the person you bring, oh hey everyone, this is so-and-so without even looking at him) to a group of his friends who barely gave me a second glance"

No difference from Bangalore gay parties.

Roy De Gay said...

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and loving support. It truly warms my heart reading each and every one of your comments. I shall be posting regularly, because I have a whole lot to share. Not just about the gay-scene, but about a lot of topics of significance, as well as, share moments of my life. I will change names of both people and some locations in order to protect their privacy, but I assure you that all my postings shall be frank and honest and straight from the heart.


I hope to use this blog as a voice not only for myself, but for the gay community as well. So if you'd like me to write about and discuss any topic in particular, feel free to email me (link provided in my profile). And feel free to pass this blog on to your friends as well.

Also, I choose to maintain a level of anonymity because sometimes, especially in a country like ours, being brave enough to voice opinions can lead to unpleasant consequences, and I ask you all to please respect my privacy.

Thank You :o)


***


To answer some of your questions:-

"i think the guy who took u me is the same guy"

- It could very well have been the same guy, although he's now out of the country (good riddance)



"Did u ever talk to him again ... and if you did what was it ? "

-Unfortunately, against my better judgment, I did. I shall post more about it.


"Of course, it's quite different from what we would experience on our first date; we tend to be a little more chivalrous towards our dates.... I don't know, but I reckon it would be unfair to generalize this guy's behavior as a normal tendency. I fail to see why fundamental ethics and etiquette should change with sexual orientation."

Well, first of all, I truly am glad you enjoyed my post and being a str8 man were able to empathize with things from a gay perspective. Now regarding chivalry, I guess it's subject to perception. One man's chivalry could be another's sleaze. Plus almost all my girlfriends can tell numerous tales about how str8 men have tried to come across as chivalrous only to reveal not so chivalrous intentions later on. Hence, it's nothing to do with sexual orientation or anything else, it's more to do with manners :o).

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else here has said...you write so well! I love the way you tell the story. It has to be the worst nightmare of a date that I have EVER heard of.

I don't have anything even remotely like that to tell.

You deserve Hubble...even if it doesn't last forever. I love that movie too.

Good luck! It must get better from here because it can't get much worse.

I love you...keep writing!

Unknown said...

excellent write-up..many of us can easily identify with...u already have a fan following out there and have made everyone thirsty for MORE;-)

also tell us something about your tarot reading...would luv to know more about it...

chandan said...

that was nice articles/memories dude... :-)
i had visited one here in my town,...but it was pathetic too.i decided that will never visit again, i cant bore bitchy men....i was horrified with the same kind of ppl, who should atleast treat wellthe new bees in the bar...they never understand that....alas...i hope u r doing good now

Random Dude said...

LMAO!! Ur piece made me totally rolling all over the place, man!

some flaming drag queen who would have arrived wearing some trashy sequined tube top and low-waist jeans with a Shakira-belt
they'd resemble a pussycat doll, only to resemble Britney at her tragic VMA performance of Gimme More.
McNasty
belting a slobbery rendition of 'Girls Just Wanna Have fun

These thing were totally LMAO material...ur really a feisty kinda guy! Awesome work, man!
Awesome work! Nothing erotic and totally real...i absolutely loved it!

luv said...

I am very impressed with your writing skills. Although not very good experience, but atleast you tried a gay not so gay bar.....

I like that McNasty bit.. very good refernce.

Keep on writing dude.....
Raj
luv12345@gmail.com

simply said...

m spellbound nd totally engrossed .. wish i cud hugg u once in reall .. m living in a world of brilliant authors, i guess:p

mindblowing narration .. it was cute, funny, sad, real nd touchy !!

u know m also tryin to loose weight nd i can associate nd sympathize wid ya !!

some sentences (man i'll find sumtime nd will put 'em all) were really too much !!

rocking work .. !! :)

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!i'm spellbound!! your work is sooo addictive, after having read it i can't help but crave for more!!!:D.. and count me one among your FANS around here, you're truly a rockstar!!!

luv,
gibben!

Anonymous said...

excellent blog! loved reading it!

Anonymous said...

If your dream is to b a prolific writer i must warn ur story drags. But u seem to b passionate about writing and thts i found great great. Nuances shouldnt become nonsense.Otherwise... u r articulate.
But,Instead of expecting jewel (not sex tho) in the hay stack of ur blog i could hav spent some time otherwise. My mistake. ;-)

Anonymous said...

hhmmm must say a good job while writing but too much of self pitty and a lot of self obsession posted into it....